|About Us :: History
The Story Behind Samson Tug and Barge
Samson Tug and Barge began as a horse and cart operation which delivered materials and goods to mining camps. Known as Baggen Transfer, George Baggen Sr. based the company in Juneau. In 1937, Baggen and his son George Jr. founded Samson Tug and Barge with a single tug providing freight hauling services throughout Southeast Alaska.
The Samson fleet expanded in the 1950's. The company hauled freight and a variety of cargo between Southeast Alaskan communities. By 1960, Sitka was home to Alaska Pulp Corporation and its mill which employed over 300 people. Samson Tug and Barge provided log raft and chip barge towing to the plant for about 20 years. Samson acquired bigger and more powerful tugs as the fleet saw more growth.
The 1980's were a time of transition for Samson Tug and Barge. The military contract for freight services to Adak was awarded to the company. This propelled Samson into the large-scale freight hauling arena. The addition of even more powerful boats, barges capable of transporting massive volumes of freight and fuel enabled Samson to service a route which encompassed the entire Pacific Rim of Alaska.